Vietnam offers a variety of diverse and beautiful areas to explore! In the north alone you can see the rolling mountains and valleys of Sapa spotted with endless rice fields, as well as the picturesque cliffs poking out of the Eastern Sea in Ha Long Bay. Along the coast there are lovely cities and beach towns to visit. These highlights don’t even include the major bustling cities of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh; both worth a visit. And we haven’t even touched on the delicious cuisine. Come for the sights, stay for the food!
- Sapa – Towering mountains and rolling valleys all covered in picturesque rice fields, Sapa is well worth the night bus from Hanoi. Spend a few days here to wait for the perfect picture as it is often foggy, and just relax and get to know the locals at a homestay in one of the many mountain villages. Spend your days hiking and taking in the spectacular views.
- Hanoi – Probably our favourite big city in all of SEA, there are tons of things to do here. Take a stroll around Hoan Kiem Lake in the middle of the city, and check out the countless museums in the area all while sampling the tasty Vietnamese dishes. Explore the night market and most of all the great array of street side bars down the many winding alleys.
- Hôi An – A smaller place off the major tourist track, this cute town is where you’ll find all of your souvenirs to bring back home. The views along the Hai Van Mountain Pass alone are worth the trip. The streets in the old town are lined with nice shops, markets and awesome restaurants to try. Hôi An is known for it’s tailors, so get a dress or suit made to bring back home.
Worth a Trip
- Ha Long Bay – This is the famous Vietnamese bay dotted with massive rock cliffs and caverns. Book an overnight cruise in Hanoi and enjoy views from your boat. Exploring Surprise Cave and kayaking along the cliffs under climbing monkeys were the highlights.
- Ho Chi Minh City – The largest city in Vietnam has some significant historical buildings to check out. Go learn about the country’s history at Reunification Palace and afterwards take in the city atop the Bitexco Tower. The night life was pretty exciting too!
Just Pass Through
- Hué – The first city we arrived at in Vietnam has little to write home about. Spend the day checking out the ancient Imperial City, then head out to your next destination.
Check out our posts on Vietnam here!